Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Restoration

View as Grid List
Sort by

St John the Baptist, St John Street, Stamford, Lincolnshire: the original angel roof

RIBA6956
Browning, Edward (1816-1882)
NOTES: The chancel roof with carved angels against the arched braces was restored in 1856 by Edward Browning.

St John the Baptist, St John Street, Stamford, Lincolnshire: detail of one of the carved angels of roof above the south aisle

RIBA6957
Browning, Edward (1816-1882)
NOTES: The chancel roof with carved angels against the arched braces was restored in 1856 by Edward Browning.

Holy Sepulchre, Sheep Street, Northampton: the original round nave

RIBA6971
Scott, Sir George Gilbert (1811-1878)
NOTES: This round Norman church was built by Simon de Senlis, Earl of Northampton, on his return from the First Crusade to the Holy Land. The inspiration its construction came from the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem. It is one of the five surviving round churches in England. A nave, chancel and aisles were later added to the east of the round church between c.1180 and c.1330. The church was extensively restored by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1860-1864.

Rebuilding of the Temple Church, The Temple, London: craftsmen at work in the nave

RIBA6994
Carden & Godfrey
NOTES: The church was founded by the Knights Templar in the reign of Henry II upon the model of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem. The Transitional style church was consecrated in 1185 by Heraclius, Patriarch of Jerusalem. The church and most of the Temple enclave was severely damaged by incendiary bombs during the Blitz of 1941. However, the walls were left intact and enough fragments remained for the church to be restored in complete Early Gothic style after World War II. The rebuilding was supervised by Walter Hindes Godfrey of Carden & Godfrey between 1947 and 1957. The nave and choir was rededicated in 1954, and the Round, the original nave, in 1958.

Rebuilding of the Temple Church, The Temple, London: builders at work in the nave

RIBA6995
Carden & Godfrey
NOTES: The church was founded by the Knights Templar in the reign of Henry II upon the model of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem. The Transitional style church was consecrated in 1185 by Heraclius, Patriarch of Jerusalem. The church and most of the Temple enclave was severely damaged by incendiary bombs during the Blitz of 1941. However, the walls were left intact and enough fragments remained for the church to be restored in complete Early Gothic style after World War II. The rebuilding was supervised by Walter Hindes Godfrey of Carden & Godfrey between 1947 and 1957. The nave and choir was rededicated in 1954, and the Round, the original nave, in 1958.

High Cross House, Dartington Hall School, Devon

RIBA9651
Lescaze, William (1896-1969)
NOTES: In 1994 John Winter & Associates were commissioned by the Dartington Hall Trust to renovate this house as a showcase for Dorothy and Leonard Elmhirst's collection of paintings and ceramics (The Dartington Hall Trust Collection) and to be a home for the Trust's unique archival records.

Bloomfield Villas, London

RIBA9990
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design

Cathedral of Notre Dame, Amiens: detail of flying buttress

RIBA10321
Viollet-le-Duc, Eugene Emmanuel (1814-1879)
SOURCE: Eugene Emmanuel Viollet-le-Duc. Dictionnaire raisonne de l'architecture francaise du XI au XVI siecle, (Paris, 1854-1868), vol. IV, p. 172 NOTES: The original cathedral, built in Romanesque style in 1152, was destroyed by fire caused by lightning in 1218. Reconstruction began in 1220 and the nave was completed in 1245. The rebuilding of the choir began c.1238 and was completed before 1269, and by 1288 only the tops of the towers remained incomplete. The south tower was completed in 1366 while the north tower was completed in 1402. It was restored by Viollet-le-Duc in the 1850s.

Cathedral of Notre Dame, Amiens: cross section through the nave and aisle

RIBA10322
Viollet-le-Duc, Eugene Emmanuel (1814-1879)
SOURCE: Eugene Emmanuel Viollet-le-Duc. Dictionnaire raisonne de l'architecture francaise du XI au XVI siecle, vol. I (Paris, 1858), p. 203 NOTES: The original cathedral, built in Romanesque style in 1152, was destroyed by fire caused by lightning in 1218. Reconstruction began in 1220 and the nave was completed in 1245. The rebuilding of the choir began c.1238 and was completed before 1269, and by 1288 only the tops of the towers remained incomplete. The south tower was completed in 1366 while the north tower was completed in 1402. It was restored by Viollet-le-Duc in the 1850s.

Cathedral of Notre Dame, Amiens: detail of flying buttress

RIBA10323
Viollet-le-Duc, Eugene Emmanuel (1814-1879)
SOURCE: Eugene Emmanuel Viollet-le-Duc. Dictionnaire raisonne de l'architecture francaise du XI au XVI siecle, vol. I (Paris, 1858), p. 72 NOTES: The original cathedral, built in Romanesque style in 1152, was destroyed by fire caused by lightning in 1218. Reconstruction began in 1220 and the nave was completed in 1245. The rebuilding of the choir began c.1238 and was completed before 1269, and by 1288 only the tops of the towers remained incomplete. The south tower was completed in 1366 while the north tower was completed in 1402. It was restored by Viollet-le-Duc in the 1850s.

Pont de Valentre over the River Lot, Cahors

RIBA10610
Gout, Paul (1852-1923)
NOTES: This bridge, built between 1305 and 1350, was restored in 1878 by Paul Gout.

1-6 York Gate, Regent's Park, London

RIBA11478
C. H. Elsom & Partners
Close
)
CLOSE