Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Restoration

View as Grid List
Sort by

Gilling Castle, Gilling East, North Yorkshire: detail of the frieze in the Great Chamber

RIBA148249
NOTES: The original fortified manor house dating from the 1570s was significantly remodelled internally and wings added at the beginning of the 18th century in the style of Vanbrugh, probably by William Thornton of York. The house was acquired by Ampleforth Abbey in 1929 becoming Ampleforth Preparatory School. The Great Chamber seen here was packed up and sold to William Randolf Hurst, the American publishing tycoon in 1930. But following his death in 1951, the unopened cases were eventually returned and the whole chamber reinstated in 1953 after a fund-raising campaign.

Gilling Castle, Gilling East, North Yorkshire: detail of the frieze in the Great Chamber

RIBA148250
NOTES: The original fortified manor house dating from the 1570s was significantly remodelled internally and wings added at the beginning of the 18th century in the style of Vanbrugh, probably by William Thornton of York. The house was acquired by Ampleforth Abbey in 1929 becoming Ampleforth Preparatory School. The Great Chamber seen here was packed up and sold to William Randolf Hurst, the American publishing tycoon in 1930. But following his death in 1951, the unopened cases were eventually returned and the whole chamber reinstated in 1953 after a fund-raising campaign. See RIBA158758 for a colour version of this image.

Gilling Castle, Gilling East, North Yorkshire: detail of the frieze in the Great Chamber

RIBA148251
NOTES: The original fortified manor house dating from the 1570s was significantly remodelled internally and wings added at the beginning of the 18th century in the style of Vanbrugh, probably by William Thornton of York. The house was acquired by Ampleforth Abbey in 1929 becoming Ampleforth Preparatory School. The Great Chamber seen here was packed up and sold to William Randolf Hurst, the American publishing tycoon in 1930. But following his death in 1951, the unopened cases were eventually returned and the whole chamber reinstated in 1953 after a fund-raising campaign. See RIBA158759 for a colour version of this image.

Gilling Castle, Gilling East, North Yorkshire: detail of chimneypiece in the Great Chamber

RIBA148252
NOTES: The original fortified manor house dating from the 1570s was significantly remodelled internally and wings added at the beginning of the 18th century in the style of Vanbrugh, probably by William Thornton of York. The house was acquired by Ampleforth Abbey in 1929 becoming Ampleforth Preparatory School. The Great Chamber seen here was packed up and sold to William Randolf Hurst, the American publishing tycoon in 1930. But following his death in 1951, the unopened cases were eventually returned and the whole chamber reinstated in 1953 after a fund-raising campaign. See RIBA158760 for a colour version of this image.

Prickshaw Village, Broadley, Lancashire

RIBA149094
Deakin, Tony
NOTES: Prickshaw Village is a stone-built hamlet on the Pennines, which housed a thriving textile community in the early and mid-19th century. It became derelict in the 1960s, but was brought back to life in 1989 by Rochdale Borough Council, who comissioned a firm of local builders, who in turn commissioned the architect Tony Deakin. It was given a Civic Trust award in 1994, for the sensitivity of the restoration in 1994. See RIBA158952 for a colour version of this image.

Prickshaw Village, Broadley, Lancashire

RIBA149095
Deakin, Tony
NOTES: Prickshaw Village is a stone-built hamlet on the Pennines, which housed a thriving textile community in the early and mid-19th century. It became derelict in the 1960s, but was brought back to life in 1989 by Rochdale Borough Council, who comissioned a firm of local builders, who in turn commissioned the architect Tony Deakin. It was given a Civic Trust award in 1994, for the sensitivity of the restoration in 1994. See RIBA158953 for a colour version of this image.

Prickshaw Village, Broadley, Lancashire

RIBA149096
Deakin, Tony
NOTES: Prickshaw Village is a stone-built hamlet on the Pennines, which housed a thriving textile community in the early and mid-19th century. It became derelict in the 1960s, but was brought back to life in 1989 by Rochdale Borough Council, who comissioned a firm of local builders, who in turn commissioned the architect Tony Deakin. It was given a Civic Trust award in 1994, for the sensitivity of the restoration in 1994. See RIBA158954 for a colour version of this image.

Prickshaw Village, Broadley, Lancashire

RIBA149097
Deakin, Tony
NOTES: Prickshaw Village is a stone-built hamlet on the Pennines, which housed a thriving textile community in the early and mid-19th century. It became derelict in the 1960s, but was brought back to life in 1989 by Rochdale Borough Council, who comissioned a firm of local builders, who in turn commissioned the architect Tony Deakin. It was given a Civic Trust award in 1994, for the sensitivity of the restoration in 1994. See RIBA158955 for a colour version of this image.

Prickshaw Village, Broadley, Lancashire

RIBA149098
Deakin, Tony
NOTES: Prickshaw Village is a stone-built hamlet on the Pennines, which housed a thriving textile community in the early and mid-19th century. It became derelict in the 1960s, but was brought back to life in 1989 by Rochdale Borough Council, who comissioned a firm of local builders, who in turn commissioned the architect Tony Deakin. It was given a Civic Trust award in 1994, for the sensitivity of the restoration in 1994. See RIBA158956 for a colour version of this image.

Prickshaw Village, Broadley, Lancashire

RIBA149099
Deakin, Tony
NOTES: Prickshaw Village is a stone-built hamlet on the Pennines, which housed a thriving textile community in the early and mid-19th century. It became derelict in the 1960s, but was brought back to life in 1989 by Rochdale Borough Council, who comissioned a firm of local builders, who in turn commissioned the architect Tony Deakin. It was given a Civic Trust award in 1994, for the sensitivity of the restoration in 1994. See RIBA158957 for a colour version of this image.

Prickshaw Village, Broadley, Lancashire: detail of stair newel in one of the houses

RIBA149100
Deakin, Tony
NOTES: Prickshaw Village is a stone-built hamlet on the Pennines, which housed a thriving textile community in the early and mid-19th century. It became derelict in the 1960s, but was brought back to life in 1989 by Rochdale Borough Council, who comissioned a firm of local builders, who in turn commissioned the architect Tony Deakin. It was given a Civic Trust award in 1994, for the sensitivity of the restoration in 1994.

Prickshaw Village, Broadley, Lancashire: detail of stone fireplace in one of the houses

RIBA149101
Deakin, Tony
NOTES: Prickshaw Village is a stone-built hamlet on the Pennines, which housed a thriving textile community in the early and mid-19th century. It became derelict in the 1960s, but was brought back to life in 1989 by Rochdale Borough Council, who comissioned a firm of local builders, who in turn commissioned the architect Tony Deakin. It was given a Civic Trust award in 1994, for the sensitivity of the restoration in 1994.
Close
)
CLOSE