NOTES: The house dates originally from c. 1640, when it was begun and possibly designed by its owner Sir Thomas Chicheley. It subsequently underwent many alterations. From 1693-1710 a detached orangery to the rear and a service wing were added. From 1713 James Gibbs added wings and library to the north-west. In 1742-1745 the central block was reroofed and the elevations reconstructed by the architect Henry Flitcroft. Another wing was added on the garden side to balance the library. Between 1791-1806 the interiors were remodelled by John Soane The last phase was the extension of the east and west wings by H. E. Kendall (senior) in 1842 (largely demolished in 1953). The house was bequeathed to the National Trust in 1976. The book room, as it was known, was created in 1806 by enlarging Gibb's old ante-library into one bay of the adjoining orangery.
NOTES: The original law courts were built in 1672 by Nicodemus Tessin, but were rebuilt after a fire in 1732. In 1814-1817 an upper storey was added and the facade reworked by C. W. Carlberg. Later in the 19th century wings were added to the north and west, creating a central courtyard and the adjacent Commandant's House was taken over in1880 for use as offices. Asplund won a competition to redesign the courts in 1913, which was finally completed in 1937.
NOTES: The church is mainly 14th century with some later additions. The original chancel was demolished some time in the 16th century, but fragments remain. The porch was added in the 15th century and the interior fittings also date from then.
NOTES: Parish church rebuilt in the second half of the 15th century, with the exception of the tower which is late 14th century (repaired in 1676, according to a dated lead plaque on the tower). The church was restored in 1873 by the architect G. Vialls. The seating is late 15th century early 16th century.