Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Re-use

View as Grid List
Sort by

Holy Sepulchre, Sheep Street, Northampton: the original round nave

RIBA6971
Scott, Sir George Gilbert (1811-1878)
NOTES: This round Norman church was built by Simon de Senlis, Earl of Northampton, on his return from the First Crusade to the Holy Land. The inspiration its construction came from the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem. It is one of the five surviving round churches in England. A nave, chancel and aisles were later added to the east of the round church between c.1180 and c.1330. The church was extensively restored by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1860-1864.

Rebuilding of the Temple Church, The Temple, London: craftsmen at work in the nave

RIBA6994
Carden & Godfrey
NOTES: The church was founded by the Knights Templar in the reign of Henry II upon the model of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem. The Transitional style church was consecrated in 1185 by Heraclius, Patriarch of Jerusalem. The church and most of the Temple enclave was severely damaged by incendiary bombs during the Blitz of 1941. However, the walls were left intact and enough fragments remained for the church to be restored in complete Early Gothic style after World War II. The rebuilding was supervised by Walter Hindes Godfrey of Carden & Godfrey between 1947 and 1957. The nave and choir was rededicated in 1954, and the Round, the original nave, in 1958.

Rebuilding of the Temple Church, The Temple, London: builders at work in the nave

RIBA6995
Carden & Godfrey
NOTES: The church was founded by the Knights Templar in the reign of Henry II upon the model of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem. The Transitional style church was consecrated in 1185 by Heraclius, Patriarch of Jerusalem. The church and most of the Temple enclave was severely damaged by incendiary bombs during the Blitz of 1941. However, the walls were left intact and enough fragments remained for the church to be restored in complete Early Gothic style after World War II. The rebuilding was supervised by Walter Hindes Godfrey of Carden & Godfrey between 1947 and 1957. The nave and choir was rededicated in 1954, and the Round, the original nave, in 1958.

Church of the Holy Ghost, Midsomer Norton, Somerset

RIBA7856
Scott, Sir Giles Gilbert (1880-1960)
NOTES: Sir Giles Gilbert Scott converted the old tithe barn into the Church of the Holy Ghost.

BBC studio, Newcastle-upon-Tyne

RIBA8101
Coates, Wells Wintemute (1895-1958)
NOTES: Coates carried out the conversion and redecoration of an existing building to the exacting acoustical requirements of the BBC.

Flats in Cranley Court, 13 Cranley Gardens, South Kensington, London: the third floor landing

RIBA8877
Kirby, Stuart Cameron
NOTES: These flats are a Victorian house conversion.

Flats in Cranley Court, 13 Cranley Gardens, South Kensington, London: the staircase and lift

RIBA8878
Kirby, Stuart Cameron
NOTES: These flats are a Victorian house conversion.

Flats in Cranley Court, 13 Cranley Gardens, South Kensington, London: the basement dining room

RIBA8879
Kirby, Stuart Cameron
NOTES: These flats are a Victorian house conversion.

Flats in Cranley Court, 13 Cranley Gardens, South Kensington, London: fireplace and sculpture by Maurice Lambert

RIBA8880
Kirby, Stuart Cameron
NOTES: These flats are a Victorian house conversion.

Stowe, Buckinghamshire: the south facade

RIBA9123
Adam, Robert (1728-1792)
NOTES: The house was saved from demolition in the 1920s when it was bought by a commission set up to create a new public school. Stowe School was created in 1923 and the modification of the great house to accommodate staff and boys was undertaken by Clough Williams-Ellis.

Pallant House, Chichester: the entrance with comic stone ostriches on the gate piers

RIBA9131
NOTES: Built for Henry Peckham, this house is also known as Dodo House from the ostriches on the gateposts. The building had been used as council offices since 1919, was restored in 1979, and re-opened as Pallant House Gallery in 1982.
)
CLOSE