Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Re-use

View as Grid List
Sort by

St Nicholas, Old Shoreham, West Sussex

RIBA6738
Carpenter, Richard Cromwell (1812-1855)
NOTES: A church existed on this site from 800 and the nave retains some Saxon features. The Normans extended it and built the central tower and chancel. The church was restored by Cambridge Camden Society on 1841, and by Richard C. Carpenter in 1854.

St James the Great, Snitterfield, Warwickshire

RIBA6743
NOTES: Construction on this large parish church began in Norman style in the 13th and was completed with Gothic additions in the 15th century. It was extensively restored in 1852.

Holy Sepulchre, Bridge Street, Cambridge

RIBA6760
Salvin, Anthony (1799-1881)
NOTES: This church, one of the four remaining round churches in England, dates from c.1130. It was largely rebuilt in the 15th and extensively restored by Salvin in 1842.

St John the Baptist, Needham Market, Suffolk: the unique hammer-beam roof shaped like the hull of a ship

RIBA6839
NOTES: The roof was hidden by a barrel-vaulted plaster ceiling until it was uncovered during restoration in 1880. The angels on the hammer-beams were added in 1892.

St James, Muswell, Hill, London: the nave

RIBA6852
Adler, J. S.
NOTES: This church was designed by J S Adler in 1898 and built in 1900-1902. It was restored following damage during World War II by Caroe & Partners.

Temple Church, The Temple, City of London: effigies of the Knights Templar on the floor of the Round

RIBA6861
NOTES: The church was founded by the Knights Templar in the reign of Henry II upon the model of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem. The Transitional style church was consecrated in 1185 by Heraclius, Patriarch of Jerusalem. The church and most of the Temple enclave was severely damaged by incendiary bombs during the Blitz of 1941. However, the walls were left intact and enough fragments remained for the church to be restored in complete Early Gothic style after World War II. The nave and choir was rededicated in 1954, and the Round, the original nave, in 1958.

Temple Church, The Temple, City of London: two of the effigies in Purbeck marble of the Knights Templar dressed to ride into battle on the floor of the Round

RIBA6862
NOTES: The church was founded by the Knights Templar in the reign of Henry II upon the model of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem. The Transitional style church was consecrated in 1185 by Heraclius, Patriarch of Jerusalem. The church and most of the Temple enclave was severely damaged by incendiary bombs during the Blitz of 1941. However, the walls were left intact and enough fragments remained for the church to be restored in complete Early Gothic style after World War II. The nave and choir was rededicated in 1954, and the Round, the original nave, in 1958.

All Saints, Kenton, Devon: detail of the chancel screen with original painted panels and restored rood loft

RIBA6884
Read, Herbert (d. 1935)
NOTES: The central portion of the rood loft was renewed in 1899 following restoration by Herbert Read.

St Mary, Ottery St Mary, Devon: the nave looking west

RIBA6887
Butterfield, William (1814-1900)
NOTES: This church was reconstructed in 1338-1342. The Dorset Aisle was added in 1520. The interior was thoroughly restored by William Butterfield in 1850.

St John the Baptist, Plymtree, Devon: the fan-vaulted rood screen with painted dado panels

RIBA6888
Weir, William (1865-1950)
NOTES: The interiors of this church were carefully restored by William Weir in 1910.

St John the Baptist, Plymtree, Devon: detail of the fan-vaulted rood screen with painted dado panels

RIBA6889
Weir, William (1865-1950)
NOTES: The interiors of this church were carefully restored by William Weir in 1910.

St John the Baptist, Plymtree, Devon: detail of the fan-vaulted rood screen with painted dado panels

RIBA6890
NOTES: The interiors of this church were carefully restored by William Weir in 1910.
)
CLOSE