NOTES: Palazzo Borromeo was commissioned by Carlo III in 1632 and dedicated to his wife Isabella D'Adda, from whom the island takes its name. Construction of the house and design of its gardens was entrusted to Angelo Crivelli and completed by Carlo Fontana. The gardens were inaugurated in 1671.
NOTES: The cathedral, also known as the Kaiserdom (Imperial Cathedral), was built by Charlemagne, the first Holy Roman Emperor, in 792-805. The Palatine Chapel, designed by Odo of Metz, holds the remains of Charlemagne (742-814) and was the site of coronations for 600 years.