NOTES: The design of the Piazza del Campidoglio which encompasses the Palazzo dei Conservatori and the Capitoline Museum was laid out by Michelangelo from 1536-1546, but not fully executed until the 17th century. He also designed the stepped ramp known as the cordonata (later modified by Giacomo della Porta in 1578) which leads up to the piazza from the via del Teatro di Marcello. The two giant statues of Castor and Pollux are also thought to be based on his designs. The Palazzo Senatorio was built during the 13th and 14th centuries.
NOTES: The city of Brasilia was planned and developed in 1956 with Lucio Costa as chief urban planner and Oscar Niemeyer as principal architect. It formally became the capital of Brazil in 1960 and is the seat of all three branches of the Brazilian government. The National Congress buildings completed in 1958, comprise the Federal Senate, the Chamber of Deputies and the administrative twin Towers of Congress.
NOTES: The Reichstag has been the seat of the Bundestag since April 1999. The original 1894 building (architect Paul Wallot), was damaged by a fire in 1933 and bombed severely during World War II, leaving it gutted. After reunification, Foster & Partners were commissioned to redesign a new parliament for the Bundestag inside the shell of the old building, creating a new dome in the process.