Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Public buildings

View as Grid List
Sort by

Facade of the Palazzo Senatorioa, Piazza del Campidoglio, Capitoline Hill and cordonata, Rome

RIBA5
Michelangelo (1475-1564)
NOTES: The design of the Piazza del Campidoglio which encompasses the Palazzo dei Conservatori and the Capitoline Museum was laid out by Michelangelo from 1536-1546, but not fully executed until the 17th century. He also designed the stepped ramp known as the cordonata (later modified by Giacomo della Porta in 1578) which leads up to the piazza from the via del Teatro di Marcello. The two giant statues of Castor and Pollux are also thought to be based on his designs. The Palazzo Senatorio was built during the 13th and 14th centuries.

Somerset House, Strand, London: the riverside terrace as depicted by Thomas Malton

RIBA6393
Chambers, Sir William (1723-1796)
NOTES: This is a coloured version of the print from the published work by Thomas Malton, A picturesque tour through the cities of London and Westminster (London [1792-1802]), vol. 1, pl. [XLI]. The plates in the published work were uncoloured, but there were evidently coloured versions of the plates which appeared after the published work had come out. (The published work is in the RIBA Library at reference EW E.d.217.)

St George's Hall, Lime Street, Liverpool

RIBA7044
Cockerell, Charles Robert (1788-1863)
NOTES: The design of this building was won in open competition by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes in 1839. Construction began in 1841 and after Elmes's death in 1847 work was continued by the Corporation Surveyor, John Weightman, until C. R. Cockerell took over as architect in 1851.

Braamfontein civic centre, Johannesburg

RIBA9956
Monte Bryer & Associates

Designs for St George's Hall and the Assize Courts, Liverpool: perspective sketch of the east facade colonnade

RIBA12374
Elmes, Harvey Lonsdale (1814-1847)
NOTES: The design of this building was won in open competition by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes in 1839. Construction began in 1841 and after Elmes's death in 1847 work was continued by the Corporation Surveyor, John Weightman, until C. R. Cockerell took over as architect in 1851.

Designs for St George's Hall and the Assize Courts, Liverpool: interior of St George's Hall

RIBA12377
Elmes, Harvey Lonsdale (1814-1847)
NOTES: The design of this building was won in open competition by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes in 1839. Construction began in 1841 and after Elmes's death in 1847 work was continued by the Corporation Surveyor, John Weightman, until C. R. Cockerell took over as architect in 1851.

Waagehaus (the old weigh-house), Wool Market, Braunschweig

RIBA27687
Krahe, Friedrich Maria (1804-1888)
NOTES: The Waagehaus (the old weigh-house) was constructed in 1534 as a weighing and storage house. From 1854-1862 the structure, which had become neglected and dilapidated, was restored by Friedrich Krahe. During this restoration, far-reaching changes were made to the facade, which were largely reversed in 1937-1939. The building was destroyed by bombing during the night of October 14th-15th, 1944, along with the entire New City. It was rebuilt down to the last detail in 1994 and was subsequently used by the Volkshochschule.

New Council House (Guildhall), Old Market Square, Salisbury: perspective view with a market taking place

RIBA31365
Taylor, Sir Robert (1714-1788)
NOTES: The 'New Council House' was designed by Sir Robert Taylor and completed in 1795 following the destruction of the previous 'Old Council House' in 1780.

Palazzo della Regione (also known as the Basilica Palladiana), Piazza dei Signori, Vicenza: elevation showing Palladio's two-storey loggia

RIBA31472
Palladio, Andrea (1508-1580)
NOTES: This drawing is by an unidentified 19th century Italian architect. The Palazzo della Regione consists of two parts: the original mid 15th century Gothic town hall and Andrea Palladio's two-storey Istrian stone loggia, which was built around the existing structure from 1549. The ground floor ranges of western and northern arcades were completed in 1561, while the construction of the second storey commenced in 1564 and concluded in 1597. The facade onto the Piazza delle Erbe was not completed until 1614.

Palazzo della Regione (also known as the Basilica Palladiana), Piazza dei Signori, Vicenza: elevation and plan

RIBA36233
Palladio, Andrea (1508-1580)
SOURCE: Andrea Palladio. I Quattro libri dell'architettura (Venice, 1570), book III, p. 42 NOTES: The Palazzo della Regione consists of two parts: the original mid 15th century Gothic town hall and Andrea Palladio's two-storey Istrian stone loggia, which was built around the existing structure from 1549. The ground floor ranges of western and northern arcades were completed in 1561, while the construction of the second storey commenced in 1564 and concluded in 1597. The facade onto the Piazza delle Erbe was not completed until 1614.
)
CLOSE