SOURCE: Building News, vol. 65, 1893 Nov. 17, p. 656-657 NOTES: Established as a charitable foundation to further technical education, especially in the printing trades, the institute's facilities included a swimming pool, gymnasium, libraries and lecture rooms. The swimming pool was converted in 1994 into the Bridewell Theatre.
NOTES: Harlow New Town, together with the London orbital developments of Basildon, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead, was built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London. The masterplan for the town was drawn up by Frederick Gibberd in 1947. It is notable for being the location of the first pedestrian precinct and first residential tower block in Britain.