NOTES: Opened in 1914 as the Pavilion Electric Cinema, thought to be designed by George Duckworth, this cinema was modernized and expanded by Cecil Masey in 1924 to become the Pavilion cinema. It was taken over by Odeon in 1937 and renamed as such in 1940. It closed in 1970 and was sold for development. It was demolished and petrol station and garage built on the site.
NOTES: Opened on the site of the old Pavilion in 1936, this cinema was taken over by Odeon in 1937 and renamed as such in 1939. It closed in 1972 and was sold in 1973 to the Divine Light Mission and became a Palace of Peace. It was taken over in 1978 for warehouse use and renamed London House. It was demolished in 2001 and flats were built on the site.
NOTES: The Barbican Centre is located in the heart of the Barbican complex and comprises: a concert hall, two theatres, an art gallery, three cinemas, 2 exhibition halls, conference suites, the conservatory, and various restaurants and refreshment facilities. The Guildhall School of Music and the Barbican Library lie adjacent and are accessible from the centre.
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 7: Local Government' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, 1970 July. The design was the result of a 1936 competition, but the building was not built until 1954-1958.