NOTES: This circular building is carried on a concrete raft on which all columns rest and reinforced concrete was used for the structure of walls, floors and roof. The circle is divided into three zones: service, forming the hub, round which are grouped offices and recreational facitlities.
NOTES: The cathedral was built between 1089 and 1499. It was extensively restored by Sir George Gilbert Scott between 1873 and 1890, and in 1897. The cloisters, begun after 1351 in Perpendicular style and completed before c.1360, have the earliest surviving large-scale fan vaulting.
NOTES: Part of the Burlington Devonshire Collection, this drawing is by an unidentified 17th century Italian draughtsman. Male bathers are shown relaxing in a series of bath treatment rooms including a Tepidarium, Frigidarium and Caldarium.
NOTES: This drawing is part of a sketchbook containing designs made for decorative panels in the Time Life Building staff cafe. The designs were executed in laminate and were suspended above the seating area.
NOTES: During World War II Erno Goldfinger presented his vision of the reconstruction of a post war Britain in a series of exhibitions mounted for the Army Bureau of Current Affairs (A.B.C.A.). In the 1943 ABCA exhibition entitled 'Health' Goldfinger proposed a blueprint for improved housing, sanitation, working conditions, schools and diet. The image shown here was intended for use on an exhibition display board.