NOTES: C. H. Aslin was County Architect for Hertfordshire from 1945 to 1958 and headed its pioneering school-building programme. Located near a large jet aircraft factory and landing ground, the construction of this school presented a special insulation problem. It was overcome by using minimum glazing on the elevations facing the noise, keeping the buildings low and using lawns as sound absorbent surfaces.
NOTES: Built on the site of the former Lincoln & Nolan's car-assembly plant, the original two-block complex was extended by a third building in 1973-1975. The curtain wall of bronze-tinted sun-resistant glass was manufactured by Smith & Pearson in Dublin.