SOURCE: Architectural Review, vol. 102-103, 1947 Nov., p. 165 NOTES: This design proposal for a pedestrian quadrangle featuring a public cafe was produced by the Architectural Review (appearing in an article entitled 'Westminster Regained') as part of the journal's response to the Abercrombie-Forshaw County of London Plan for the replanning of Westminster Precinct. The A.R.'s article sought to visually 'unpick' the proposed scheme through images such as the one shown here. John Brydon was the principal architect of the Treasury building (also known as Government Offices Great George Street), which was built between 1898 and 1917. Sir Charles Barry's 'Big Ben' Clock Tower was built for the Houses of Parliament in 1858.
NOTES: The Mary Ward Settlement (originally known as the Passmore Edwards Settlement Buildings) was founded in the 1890s by Mary Augusta Ward under the financial patronage of John Passmore Edwards. It aimed to provide facilities to 'improve the the religious, moral, intellectual or physical well-being of the people of London' and was also notable for housing the first fully equipped classrooms for children with disabilities.