Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Parliament buildings

View as Grid List
Sort by

Union Buildings, Pretoria: suggested site plan

RIBA4535
Baker, Sir Herbert (1862-1946)

Parliament House, Edinburgh

RIBA6155
Murray, Sir James (d. 1634)

Union Buildings, Pretoria

RIBA7059
Baker, Sir Herbert (1862-1946)

Union Buildings, Pretoria: Amphitheatre

RIBA7060
Baker, Sir Herbert (1862-1946)

Viceroy's House, New Delhi: detail of a chandelier in the nursery

RIBA7439
Lutyens, Sir Edwin Landseer (1869-1944)

Parliament House, Melbourne, Victoria

RIBA7603
Kerr, Peter (1820-1912)
NOTES: In the early 1850s an unsuccessful competition was held for a design for the Parliament House and, instead, the government architect, Charles Pasley, prepared a design which was accepted. This design was handed over to two architects working in his office, Peter Kerr with John George Knight. Kerr adapted and improved the design and construction began but continued in stages very slowly between 1856 and 1929 - in fact, the full design for the Parliament House has never been completed. The chambers for the Victorian Legislative Assembly and the Victorian Legislative Council were finished in 1856; the library in 1860, and the Great Hall (now Queen's Hall) and the vestibule in 1879. In the 1880s a classical colonnade and portico facing Spring Street was added and was completed in 1892 with the monumental steps and lamps. The north wing was completed in 1893 and refreshment rooms at the back of the building were added in 1929.

Parliament House, Melbourne, Victoria

RIBA7604
Kerr, Peter (1820-1912)
NOTES: In the early 1850s an unsuccessful competition was held for a design for the Parliament House and, instead, the government architect, Charles Pasley, prepared a design which was accepted. This design was handed over to two architects working in his office, Peter Kerr with John George Knight. Kerr adapted and improved the design and construction began but continued in stages very slowly between 1856 and 1929 - in fact, the full design for the Parliament House has never been completed. The chambers for the Victorian Legislative Assembly and the Victorian Legislative Council were finished in 1856; the library in 1860, and the Great Hall (now Queen's Hall) and the vestibule in 1879. In the 1880s a classical colonnade and portico facing Spring Street was added and was completed in 1892 with the monumental steps and lamps. The north wing was completed in 1893 and refreshment rooms at the back of the building were added in 1929.

Palazzo di Montecitorio, Rome

RIBA7918
Bernini, Gian Lorenzo (1598-1680)
SOURCE: Giovanni Battista Piranesi. Vedute di Roma (Rome, [1747?-1788]), pl. 23 NOTES: The palazzo which now houses the Italian Chamber of Deputies was designed for the Ludovisi family by Bernini and built between 1650-1697.
Close
)
CLOSE