NOTES: The Villa Cavrois was designed by Robert Mallet-Stevens in 1929-1932 for the wealthy industrialist Paul Cavrois. Remodelled in 1947 by Pierre Barbe, it was converted into three flats. In 1985 it had fallen into disrepair and by 2001 it was a virtual ruin, when it was bought by the state for a nominal sum of 1 euro, along with part of the grounds. Since then, there has been an extensive programme to restore the house back to its original 1932 form, under the supervison of Michel Goutal, Chief Architect of the Centre des Monuments Nationaux. This was completed in 2015, when the villa was opened to the public.
NOTES: Hatfield House, commissioned by the Lord Treasurer, Robert Cecil, Earl of Salisbury, was designed by Simon Basil, who was Surveyor of the King's Works from 1606 until his death in 1615. The construction of the house was supervised by the surveyor, Robert Lemyinge (or Liminge), from 1607 to 1612. See RIBA158667 for a colour version of this image.