NOTES: Originally built in 1859-1860 as a vestry hall for the Parish of St. Mary, Islington, this building was converted by Gray & Webb and opened as the Lido cinema in 1928. It was taken over by Odeon in 1935 and renamed as such in c.1936. It closed in 1961 and was demolished to make way for a petrol station.
NOTES: Construction on the cathedral began in Romanesque style in 1173 and was completed by 1230. It was converted into Gothic style between 1266 and 1335. It was severely damaged during the Allied bombing raid on 28-29 March 1942 in which a fifth of the city was destroyed. Nevertheless, many of the internal fittings were saved. Reconstruction of the cathedral after the war took several decades and work was completed only in 1982.