NOTES: Colloquially described as the Giant Egg, the building is covered by a glass and titanium ellipsoid roof surrounded by an artificial lake. It is an arts centre which houses three halls including an opera house.
SOURCE: Gottfried Semper. Des konigliche Hoftheater zu Dresden (Braunschweig: Vieweg, 1849), pl. 2 NOTES: Originally known as the Konigliche Hoftheater, the Staatsoper (often known as the Semperoper) was designed by Gottfried Semper in 1838-1841, but burnt down in 1869. It was rebuilt under the direction of Semper's son, Manfred Semper.