NOTES: The winning design for the National Gallery extension project by Ahrends, Burton & Koralek was eventually abandoned in favour of a scheme by Venturi, Scott Brown & Associates which was constructed in 1991. The extension became known as The Sainsbury Wing and was designed to house the Gallery's Renaissance collections. The original National Gallery building was designed by William Wilkins and completed in 1838.
NOTES: This revised design, essentially the design which was built, differs from the competition design mainly in the size of the building. The fifth and sixth floors, originally intended as offices to let, are omitted and there are some variations in the disposition of the rooms.