NOTES: The city of Brasilia was planned and developed in 1956 with Lucio Costa as chief urban planner and Oscar Niemeyer as principal architect. It formally became the capital of Brazil in 1960 and is the seat of all three branches of the Brazilian government. The Convention Centre was designed by Sergio Bernardes.
NOTES: Both the Dugald Stewart's Monument and the Playfair Building, part of Calton Hill Observatory, were designed by W. H. Playfair, in 1831 and 1818 respectively. St James Centre was designed in 1964 by Ian Burke & Martin and completed in 1970 by Hugh Martin & Partners.
NOTES; Built for the University of Oxford by the Radcliffe Trustees, this observatory was begun to the design of Henry Keene in 1772, but after his death completed in 1794 to a different design by James Wyatt.
NOTES: The house was begun in 1789 by Robert Nasmith, a former assistant of Robert Adam. His design was recast between 1793 and 1798 by James Wyatt and work continued on the house and the landscape until 1813. The house remained a private residence until 1908 when it turned into a country club.
NOTES: William Burn was employed by George Tomline to remodel Orwell Park during the 1850s and 1860s. Following Burn's death in 1870, John Macvicar Anderson designed the Orwell Park Observatory as an extension to the mansion in collaboration with the civil engineer Wilfred Airy. The drawing shown here was made after Burn's death.