Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Obelisks

View as Grid List
Sort by

View of the Hippodrome (Atmeydani), Contantinople (Istanbul), with two obelisks and the minarets of the Sultan Ahmet Camii (Blue Mosque) seen in the background

RIBA21402
NOTES: The Hippodrome was formerly an ancient chariot course. This drawing was probably produced by a local draughtsman for Charles Felix Marie Texier for use in his publications and later presented to the RIBA.

Unexecuted designs for national monuments to commemorate Waterloo and Trafalgar, probably for a site in St James's Park, London: perspective (Group I design)

RIBA21489
Smirke, Sir Robert (1780-1867)
NOTES: The two obelisks of this monument were intended to symbolise Trafalgar and Waterloo, with the temple housing an altar to the God of Peace.

Preliminary designs for the Wellington Testimonial, Phoenix Park, Dublin: detail perspective sketch of the equestrian statue on its pedestal

RIBA21512
Smirke, Sir Robert (1780-1867)
NOTES: Although the foundation stone of the monument was laid in 1817, the project ran into difficulties with construction costs in 1820 and the structure was not completed until 1861, when it was opened to the public. The statue of the Duke of Wellington on horseback was never executed.

Preliminary designs for the Wellington Testimonial, Phoenix Park, Dublin: perspective sketch of the obelisk and base set on a truncated pyramid of steps

RIBA21514
Smirke, Sir Robert (1780-1867)
NOTES: Although the foundation stone of the monument was laid in 1817, the project ran into difficulties with construction costs in 1820 and the structure was not completed until 1861, when it was opened to the public. The statue of the Duke of Wellington on horseback was never executed.

Composition of Classical architectural fragments including part of an obelisk, an urn, a statue, a column, friezes and an inscribed tablet, with a ruined temple seen in the background

RIBA22587
NOTES: This design is by an unidentified 18th Century Italian architect and is a variant of the frontispiece of Opera varie di architettura, prospettive, grotteschi, antichita, illustrated by Giovanni Battista Piranesi in 1750.

Palazzo Borromeo, Isola Bella, Lago Maggiore: statue and obelisk by the steps leading down to the lakeside terrace

RIBA25476
Crivelli, Giovanni Angelo (fl. 17th century)
NOTES: Palazzo Borromeo was commissioned by Carlo III in 1632 and dedicated to his wife Isabella D'Adda, from whom the island takes its name. Construction of the house and design of its gardens was entrusted to Angelo Crivelli and completed by Carlo Fontana. The gardens were inaugurated in 1671.

Piazza Minerva with the facade of Santa Maria sopra Minerva, and the elephant and obelisk sculpture (Il Pulcino della Minerva) by Bernini, Rome

RIBA25648
Bernini, Gian Lorenzo (1598-1680)
NOTES: Il Pulcino della Minerva, an elephant based sculpture supporting one of the eleven Egyptian obelisks in Rome, was designed by Bernini and executed by his pupil Ercole Ferrata in 1667. The basilica, the first Gothic church in Rome, was built directly over (sopra) the foundations of a temple dedicated to the goddess Minerva in 1250-1370.

Chiswick House, London: the Ionic Temple and obelisk in the Orange Tree Garden

RIBA26552
Burlington, Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of (1694-1753)
NOTES: The garden was created from 1726 by Lord Burlington and William Kent, who were both inspired by the sights of the Grand Tour. It was conceived as a single, living artwork and is one of the best surviving early examples of the English Landscape School.
)
CLOSE