SOURCE: Giovanni Battista Piranesi. Vedute di Roma (Rome, [1747?-1788]), pl. 101 NOTES: Construction on the Basilica di San Pietro in Vaticano began in 1506 under Donato Bramante. Work continued under the direction of leading architects of the time and the body of the church was completed by 1626. Piazza San Pietro is partly enclosed by two semi-circular colonnades, designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini in 1656-1667. For a similar view in this work made almost 25 years earlier see RIBA10986.