SOURCE: Giovanni Battista Piranesi. Vedute di Roma (Rome, [1747?-1788]), pl. 53 NOTES: Dating from the 15th century BC, this obelisk had been brought to Rome in 357 to decorate the Circus Maximus. Found in pieces in 1587 it was reconstructed on this site the following year by Domenico Fontana.
SOURCE: Giovanni Battista Piranesi. Vedute di Roma (Rome, [1747?-1788]), pl. 3 NOTES: Construction on the Basilica di San Pietro in Vaticano began in 1506 under Donato Bramante. Work continued under the direction of leading architects of the time and the body of the church was completed by 1626. Piazza San Pietro is partly enclosed by two semi-circular colonnades, designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini in 1656-1667. For a similar view in this work made almost 25 years later see RIBA125912.