NOTES: 'Alcazar', an LNER Class A1 60136, is seen awaiting departure on 'The Flying Scotsman' train for Edinburgh. It entered service in 1948 and was withdrawn in 1963. 'Sparrow Hawk', an LNER Class A4 60018, entered service in 1937 and was withdrawn in 1963.
NOTES: The Cathedral, the largest Romanesque church in Italy, was built between 1063 and 1118. The Bapistery replaced an older baptistery and was built in 1152-1363. This photograph is one of a number taken by Ivy de Wolfe (pseudonym of Hazel de Cronin Hastings) for the book 'The Italian Townscape' by Ivor de Wolfe (London, Architectural Press, 1963).
NOTES: These buildings, together with Flatford Mill, Valley Farm and Willy Lott's House, the location for the pastoral paintings of John Constable, were the property of the National Trust and Sissons was appointed architect for their adaptation into a Field Studies Centre in 1949.
NOTES: The Kitchen Bridge was partly based on designs by Sir Christopher Wren and is therefore also known as Wren's Bridge. The Third Court was built in two stages. The old College Library, which forms the north range, was built in 1624. The west and south ranges followed in 1669-1672.