Norwich Cathedral: the cloister
|Library Reference||Valinsky 20180309 Norwich Cathedral Church of the Holy and Undivided Trinity-14|
|Colour Info||Black and white|
|Credit||David Valinsky / RIBA Collections|
|Subject||Cloisters ; Cathedrals ; Spires ; Arches ; Towers ; Vaulting|
NOTES: Construction on the cathedral began in 1096 in the Romanesque style, and the body of the church was completed by c. 1145. But later additions were in the Gothic style. The nave and chancel with its ribbed stone vault was added from c. 1472-1499 under Bishop Goldwell (replacing an original timber roof). The clerestory was added at the same time and the spire was completed in 1485. The cloister was rebuilt between 1300-1400, but retains its original dimensions of 56.5 metres by 56.5 metres and was the largest Romanesque cloister in England. There are three styles of tracery in the cloister: the geometric work in the east (1299-1314), the decorated curvilinear tracery of the south and west (1314-1356), and the perpendicular style of the north (1382-c. 1400).
Please describe how you will use the image including publication or exhibition title.