Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

New towns

View as Grid List
Sort by

Sculpture entitled 'Joyride', town centre, Stevenage, Hertfordshire

RIBA11054
Belsky, Franta (1921-2000)
NOTES: Stevenage was designated as England's first New Town in 1946, followed by the other London orbital developments of Basildon, Harlow, Hemel Hempstead and Bracknell. The development of the New Towns, built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London, was overseen by Lewis Silkin, 1st Baron Silkin (1888-1972), the Minister for Town and Country Planning from 1945 to 1950. Leonard Vincent was the Chief Architect responsible for the town centre.

Town centre, Stevenage, Hertfordshire: the base of the clock tower and ornamental lake and fountain

RIBA11055
Stevenage Development Corporation
NOTES: Stevenage was designated as England's first New Town in 1946, followed by the other London orbital developments of Basildon, Harlow, Hemel Hempstead and Basildon. The development of the New Towns, built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London, was overseen by Lewis Silkin, 1st Baron Silkin (1888-1972), the Minister for Town and Country Planning from 1945 to 1950. Leonard Vincent was the Chief Architect responsible for the town centre.

Housing, Avon Road, Peterlee: one of the cantilever houses with car ports at ground level and maisonettes above

RIBA11321
Daniel, Peter
NOTES: Peterlee New Town in County Durham was founded in 1948. The Peterlee Development Corporation, established that year under the direction of A. V. Williams, was responsible for its development over several decades. R. J. A. Gazzard was the chief architect responsible for this phase of the development while Daniel, Dixon were responsible for the design of the housing and Pasmore for the landscaping.

Housing, Willowfield, Harlow, Essex

RIBA11335
Gibberd, Sir Frederick (1908-1984)
NOTES: Harlow New Town, together with the London orbital developments of Basildon, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead, was built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London. The masterplan for the town was drawn up by Frederick Gibberd in 1947. It is notable for being the location of the first pedestrian precinct and first residential tower block in Britain.

Housing, Willowfield, Harlow, Essex

RIBA11336
Gibberd, Sir Frederick (1908-1984)
NOTES: Harlow New Town, together with the London orbital developments of Basildon, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead, was built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London. The masterplan for the town was drawn up by Frederick Gibberd in 1947. It is notable for being the location of the first pedestrian precinct and first residential tower block in Britain.

Factory for York Shipley Limited, Basildon, Essex

RIBA11371
Ove Arup & Partners
NOTES: Basildon, created from the conglomeration of four small villages, namely Pitsea, Laindon, Basildon and Vange, was designated a new town in 1948, together with the other London orbital developments of Stevenage, Harlow, Hemel Hempstead and Bracknell. The development of the New Towns, built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London, was overseen by Lewis Silkin, 1st Baron Silkin (1888-1972), the Minister for Town and Country Planning from 1945 to 1950.

Hugh's Tower, The Hides, Harlow, Essex

RIBA11398
Gibberd, Sir Frederick (1908-1984)
NOTES: Harlow New Town, together with the London orbital developments of Basildon, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead, was built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London. The masterplan for the town was drawn up by Frederick Gibberd in 1947. It is notable for being the location of the first pedestrian precinct and first residential tower block in Britain.

Village Centre, New Ash Green, Kent

RIBA11605
Eric Lyons & Partners
NOTES: This is a Span development. As built the centre comprised 35 shops, a restaurant, six flats, seven studio workshops and 13 garages.

Waterfield school, Thamesmead, Greenwich, London

RIBA12003
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design
NOTES: Thamesmead was planned in 1965-1966 as a new town on the riverside marshes of south-east London between Plumstead and Erith. It was scheduled for completion in 1974 but was never fully finished and the projected population of 60,000 for the new town was downgraded to 45,000 by the end of the 1970s. From then around 400 houses were being built annually and by 1982, the population stood at 20,000. Since 2014 the managment and regeneration of the area has come under the aegis of Peabody.

Unexecuted alternative design for a prefabricated house front, 100 Houses Scheme, Thorntree Gill housing, Peterlee

RIBA12318
Lubetkin, Berthold (1901-1990)
NOTES: Lubetkin was architect-planner for Peterlee New Town, County Durham 1948-1950.

Preliminary plan for Melcomb Satellite Town, Dorset

RIBA12704
Williams-Ellis, Sir Clough (1883-1978)
Close
)
CLOSE