Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

New towns

View as Grid List
Sort by

Water Gardens, Harlow, Essex: the lower canal of the top terrace with concrete abstracted 'lions head' bas reliefs disgorging water designed by William Mitchell

RIBA10421
Crowe, Dame Sylvia (1901-1997)
NOTES: Harlow New Town, together with the London orbital developments of Basildon, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead, was built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London. The masterplan for the town was drawn up by Frederick Gibberd in 1947. It is notable for being the location of the first pedestrian precinct and first residential tower block in Britain. The Water Gardens were designed by Frederick Gibberd with Gerry Perrin of Harlow Development Corporation Architect's Department in 1958-1959 and were completed in 1963. Sylvia Crowe advised on the layout and planting of the gardens.

Water Gardens, Harlow, Essex: the formal terraced garden

RIBA10422
Crowe, Dame Sylvia (1901-1997)
NOTES: Harlow New Town, together with the London orbital developments of Basildon, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead, was built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London. The masterplan for the town was drawn up by Frederick Gibberd in 1947. It is notable for being the location of the first pedestrian precinct and first residential tower block in Britain. The Water Gardens were designed by Frederick Gibberd with Gerry Perrin of Harlow Development Corporation Architect's Department in 1958-1959 and were completed in 1963. Sylvia Crowe advised on the layout and planting of the gardens.

Bush Fair neighbourhood centre, Harlow, Essex: the pedestrian precinct with the sculpture 'Boar' by Elisabeth Frink

RIBA10538
Frink, Dame Elisabeth (1930-1993)
NOTES: Harlow New Town, together with the London orbital developments of Basildon, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead, was built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London. The masterplan for the town was drawn up by Frederick Gibberd in 1947. It is notable for being the location of the first pedestrian precinct and first residential tower block in Britain.

Market Square, Harlow, Essex: the square with the sculpture 'Portrait Figure' by F. E McWilliam in the foreground

RIBA10540
Gibberd, Sir Frederick (1908-1984)
NOTES: Harlow New Town, together with the London orbital developments of Basildon, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead, was built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London. The masterplan for the town was drawn up by Frederick Gibberd in 1947. It is notable for being the location of the first pedestrian precinct and first residential tower block in Britain.

Market Square, Harlow, Essex

RIBA10541
Gibberd, Sir Frederick (1908-1984)
NOTES: Harlow New Town, together with the London orbital developments of Basildon, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead, was built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London. The masterplan for the town was drawn up by Frederick Gibberd in 1947. It is notable for being the location of the first pedestrian precinct and first residential tower block in Britain.

Second phase of the south-west housing section, Peterlee: three- and two-storey terraced houses grouped around a footpath

RIBA10580
Marsden, A. T. W.
NOTES: Peterlee New Town in County Durham was founded in 1948 and the Peterlee Development Corporation, established that year under the direction of A V Williams, was responsible for its development over several decades. Victor Pasmore was head of the design team for landscaping while A T W Marsden was the chief architect and planner for this phase of the development.

Second phase of the south-west housing section, Peterlee: a courtyard off Avon Road

RIBA10581
Peterlee Development Corporation
NOTES: Peterlee New Town in County Durham was founded in 1948 and the Peterlee Development Corporation, established that year under the direction of A V Williams, was responsible for its development over several decades. Peterlee town originally mostly housed coal miners.

Second phase of the south-west housing section, Peterlee: a stub block of single-bedroom flats over garages

RIBA10582
Marsden, A. T. W.
NOTES: Peterlee New Town in County Durham was founded in 1948 and the Peterlee Development Corporation, established that year under the direction of A V Williams, was responsible for its development over several decades. A T W Marsden was the chief architect and planner for this phase of the development.

Second phase of the south-west housing section, Peterlee: one of the paired two-storey courtyard houses

RIBA10583
Marsden, A. T. W.
NOTES: Peterlee New Town in County Durham was founded in 1948 and the Peterlee Development Corporation, established that year under the direction of A V Williams, was responsible for its development over several decades. A T W Marsden was the chief architect and planner for this phase of the development.
Close
)
CLOSE