Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

New towns

View as Grid List
Sort by

Hinksey Path, Lesnes, Thamesmead, Greenwich, London: children's playground

RIBA2545-10
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, September 1970. Thamesmead was planned in 1965-1966 as a new town on the riverside marshes of south-east London between Plumstead and Erith. It was scheduled for completion in 1974 but was never fully finished and the projected population of 60,000 for the new town was downgraded to 45,000 by the end of the 1970s. From then around 400 houses were being built annually and by 1982, the population stood at 20,000. Since 2014 the managment and regeneration of the area has come under the aegis of Peabody.

Central Milton Keynes shopping centre, Buckinghamshire

RIBA2585-11
Milton Keynes Development Corporation. Architects Department
NOTES: Milton Keynes, which incorporated the existing towns of Bletchley, Wolverton and Stony Stratford along with another fifteen villages and farmland in between, was designated a new town in 1967 and planning control was thus taken from elected local authorities and delegated to the Milton Keynes Development Corporation (MKDC).

Southmere Lake and Southmere Towers, Southmere, Thamesmead, Greenwich, London, with children playing

RIBA2666-15
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, September 1970. Thamesmead was planned in 1965-1966 as a new town on the riverside marshes of south-east London between Plumstead and Erith. It was scheduled for completion in 1974 but was never fully finished and the projected population of 60,000 for the new town was downgraded to 45,000 by the end of the 1970s. From then around 400 houses were being built annually and by 1982, the population stood at 20,000. Since 2014 the managment and regeneration of the area has come under the aegis of Peabody.

Housing at New Ash Green, Kent

RIBA2795-21
Eric Lyons & Partners
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, 1970 Sep. This is a Span development.

Housing at Lesnes, Thamesmead, Greenwich, London: view from Coralline Walk towards Lesnes Towers

RIBA2797-21
Greater London Council. Department of Architecture & Civic Design
NOTES: This is one of the images taken for 'Manplan 8: Housing' in Architectural Review, vol. 148, September 1970. Thamesmead was planned in 1965-1966 as a new town on the riverside marshes of south-east London between Plumstead and Erith. It was scheduled for completion in 1974 but was never fully finished and the projected population of 60,000 for the new town was downgraded to 45,000 by the end of the 1970s. From then around 400 houses were being built annually and by 1982, the population stood at 20,000. Since 2014 the managment and regeneration of the area has come under the aegis of Peabody.

Central Milton Keynes Shopping Centre, Buckinghamshire

RIBA3438-58
Milton Keynes Development Corporation. Architects Department
NOTES: Milton Keynes, which incorporated the existing towns of Bletchley, Wolverton and Stony Stratford along with another fifteen villages and farmland in between, was designated a new town in 1967 and planning control was thus taken from elected local authorities and delegated to the Milton Keynes Development Corporation (MKDC).

Housing, Stevenage, Hertfordshire

RIBA4168
NOTES: Stevenage was designated as England's first New Town in 1946, followed by the other London orbital developments of Basildon, Harlow, Hemel Hempstead and Bracknell. The development of the New Towns, built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London, was overseen by Lewis Silkin, 1st Baron Silkin (1888-1972), the Minister for Town and Country Planning from 1945 to 1950.

Housing at Lincoln Way, Corby New Town, Northamptonshire

RIBA4169
Corby Development Corporation Architects Department

Housing, Woodhead Court, Westfield, Cumbernauld New Town

RIBA4170
Cumbernauld Development Corporation
NOTES: Created as a population overspill for Glasgow City, Cumbernauld was designated a new town in 1955. Leslie Hugh Wilson was the first Chief Architect to the Cumbernauld Development Corporation (CDC) which oversaw the development, promotion and management of the New Town until 1996. He was succeeded in 1962 by Dudley Roberts Leaker.

Apollo Pavilion, Sunny Blunts Estate, Peterlee

RIBA4359
Pasmore, Victor (1908-1998)
NOTES: Peterlee New Town in County Durham was founded in 1948 and the Peterlee Development Corporation, established that year under the direction of A V Williams, was responsible for its development over several decades. Victor Pasmore was head of the design team for landscaping and responsible for the Apollo Pavilion.

Village Centre, New Ash Green, Kent

RIBA4514
Eric Lyons & Partners
NOTES: This is a Span development. As built the centre comprised 35 shops, a restaurant, six flats, seven studio workshops and 13 garages.

Village Centre, New Ash Green, Kent

RIBA4516
Eric Lyons & Partners
NOTES: This is a Span development. As built the centre comprised 35 shops, a restaurant, six flats, seven studio workshops and 13 garages.
Close
)
CLOSE