Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.

Neon lighting

View as Grid List
Sort by

'Points of View' facing the Palasport Olympic Stadium and the Torre Maratona, Piazza d'Armi, Turin

Cragg, Tony (1949-)
NOTES: The three bronze columns called 'Points of View' that mark the entrance to the Olympic complex at Piazza d'Armi in Turin, were designed by the British-born sculptor Tony Cragg in 2005. The multi-purpose indoor sports/concert arena was designed by Arata Isozaki and opened in 2005. It served as one of the venues for the 2006 Winter Olympics, hosting the ice hockey events. The Art Deco Torre Maratona was built to signal the municipal stadium, built in the 1930s.

Town centre by night, Stevenage, Hertfordshire

Stevenage Development Corporation
NOTES: Stevenage was designated as England's first New Town in 1946, followed by the other London orbital developments of Basildon, Harlow, Hemel Hempstead and Bracknell. The development of the New Towns, built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London, was overseen by Lewis Silkin, 1st Baron Silkin (1888-1972), the Minister for Town and Country Planning from 1945 to 1950. Leonard Vincent was the Chief Architect responsible for the town centre.

Monseigneur Grill snack bar, 16-17 Jermyn Street, London, at night

William Henry White & Sons
NOTES: The snack bar was on the ground floor, with the grill on the first floor. The door on the right hand side leads to the Monseigneur Restaurant at 215 Piccadilly, situated in a double-height basement.

Odeon, Parsons Hill, Woolwich, London: the auditorium seen from the upper circle left

Coles, George (1884-1963)
NOTES: Closed as an Odeon in 1981, this cinema was taken over by Panton and reopened as the Coronet in 1983. It closed in 1999 and reopened as the New Wine Church in 2001.

Langham Cinema, Bridge Street, Pinner, London, at night

Emden Egan & Company
NOTES: The bulding was demolished in 1982.

Bar / restaurant 'Cerny pivovar', Prague, by night

Benda, Jaroslav (1882-1970)
NOTES: This photoprint was originally part of the Refugee Committee Papers in the RIBA Archives Collection.

Westminster Theatre Arts Centre, Palace Street, Buckingham Palace Road, London: the theatre neon signage on the side elevation

John & Sylvia Reid
NOTES: The Westminster Theatre, formerly the St James's Picture Theatre, was established on this site in 1931. The building, originally the eighteenth century Charlotte Chapel, was converted into an arts centre in 1966 to designs by John & Sylvia Reid. A two-storey office extension by the same architects was added above the theatre in 1973. The complex was destroyed by fire in 2002.