NOTES: Originally built in 1655, Witley Court was remodelled by John Nash in c. 1806. It was remodelled again in Italianate style in 1854-1860 for the first Earl of Dudley by Samuel Daukes. The terraces and the gardens were laid out by William Andrew Nesfield at the same time. The house was devastated by fire in 1937 after which it was stripped and abandoned until taken into the care of English Heritage in 1984.
NOTES: The old Parliament Building was designed by Pearce and built in 1729-1739. The east and west porticos were added by Gandon in 1785-1797 and the south curving screen walls by Johnston in 1803 when the building was converted into a bank.
NOTES: The church was built 1832-1839, although the portico was not added until 1861 by Deane and Woodward. They omitted the flanking towers and dome over the crossing that was originally intended. Kearns Deane was the brother of Thomas Deane of Deane & Woodward.
NOTES: The chapel was located in the northern wing of the now demolished Palais des Tuileries and was constructed as part of the remodelling by Percier and Fontaine of the Louvre in 1806-1811 for Napoleon I. It was destroyed during the Paris Commune uprising 1871.
NOTES: The Tuscan style columns on the portico are made from cast iron, each column cast in two sections over 17 ft (5.2 metres) high, with the architrave a single casting. The Dock Traffic Office was designed by Philip Hardwick in 1848. Another storey (just seen) was added in 1849 by Hartley.
NOTES: Former hunting lodge enlarged to private house. Built circa 1550 for Sir Nicholas Poyntz of Iron Acton, reputedly with stone from the destroyed Kingswood Abbey. It was enlarged in the early 17th-century into an H-plan. Formed into a square and remodelled by James Wyatt in Gothick style probably in 1790s for the Reverend Lewis Clutterbuck, a service wing was added in 1897. The house was bequeathed to the National Trust in 1949 and restored from 1970-1984.