Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Neoclassical Style Guide: Symmetry and Proportion

Neoclassical architecture uses symmetry and proportion to create a balanced exterior and interior.

View as Grid List
Sort by

Tyringham House, Buckinghamshire: the gateway

RIBA9196
Soane, Sir John (1753-1837)

Silwood Park, Berkshire

RIBA16148
Mitchell, Robert (fl. 1770-1809)
SOURCE: Robert Mitchell. Plans, and views in perspective, with descriptions, of buildings erected in England and Scotland (London, 1801), pl. 1

Silwood Park, Berkshire

RIBA16149
Mitchell, Robert (fl. 1770-1809)
SOURCE: Robert Mitchell. Plans, and views in perspective, with descriptions, of buildings erected in England and Scotland (London, 1801), pl. 3

Southgate Grove (now known as Grovelands), Enfield, London: the east elevation

RIBA17630
Nash, John (1752-1835)
SOURCE: George Richardson. The New Vitruvius Britannicus (London, 1802-1808), pl. 31

Athenaeum, corner of Pall Mall and Waterloo Place, London: the principal front

RIBA17717
Burton, Decimus (1800-1881)
SOURCE: Examples for builders, carpenters and joiners (London: Weale, 1857), pl. 8

Design for an Ionic villa

RIBA20079
Thompson, James

Dodington Park, Gloucestershire: the Dower House

RIBA24634
Wyatt, James (1746-1813)

Dodington Park, Gloucestershire: the Sodbury entrance and lodge from within the park

RIBA72275
Wyatt, James (1746-1813)
NOTES: Dodington Park was begun in 1796 but not completed until after the architect's death.

Archway at Somerset House, Strand, London

RIBA77837
Chambers, Sir William (1723-1796)

Designs for a church for Thomas Johnes, Esq.: plan

RIBA82418
Hardwick, Thomas (1752-1829)
NOTES: This drawing comes from an album entitled by Thomas Hardwick 'Sketches of sundry buildings already executed and original designs on varied subjects', which he commenced in 1773. Thomas Johnes inherited the Hafod Estate in Dyfed in 1780 and developed the house and estate, creating a famous picturesque landscape. This design is probably for that estate.

Designs for St Mary the Virgin, Wanstead, London: ground floor plan

RIBA82421
Hardwick, Thomas (1752-1829)
NOTES: This drawing comes from an album entitled by Thomas Hardwick 'Sketches of sundry buildings already executed and original designs on varied subjects', which he commenced in 1773. Hardwick exhibited a drawing 'Elevation of the new church at Wanstead, Essex' at the Royal Academy of Arts, London, in 1791 (no. 487).

Designs for St Mary the Virgin, Wanstead, London: elevation of the west front

RIBA82423
Hardwick, Thomas (1752-1829)
NOTES: This drawing comes from an album entitled by Thomas Hardwick 'Sketches of sundry buildings already executed and original designs on varied subjects', which he commenced in 1773. Hardwick exhibited a drawing 'Elevation of the new church at Wanstead, Essex' at the Royal Academy of Arts, London, in 1791 (no. 487).

Chatham Dockyard: the main entrance to the Old Admiral's Offices

RIBA118967
Holl, Edward (d. 1824)
NOTES: Chatham Dockyard was established as a Royal Dockyard from 1567. It closed in 1984, but has a number of surviving historic structures ranging in date from the early 18th century to the early-mid 20th century. It is now managed as a visitor attraction.

Dulwich Picture Gallery, London

RIBA119087
Soane, Sir John (1753-1837)
NOTES: See RIBA119081 for a black and white version of this image.

Somerset House, Strand, London: the Nelson Staircase (formerly the Navy Staircase)

RIBA119425
Chambers, Sir William (1723-1796)
NOTES: Restored after 1940 bomb damage by Sir Albert Richardson.

Heveningham Hall, Suffolk: the orangery

RIBA9180
Wyatt, James (1746-1813)

Syon House, Isleworth, London: the Great Hall seen from the ante-room with a bronze of the Dying Gaul in the foreground

RIBA15702
Adam, Robert (1728-1792)
NOTES: The 'Dying Gaul' was cast in Rome by Valodier and acquired by the Duchess of Northumberland in 1773.

Pitzhanger Manor, Walpole Park, Ealing, London: the east facade seen from the entrance

RIBA103275
Soane, Sir John (1753-1837)
NOTES: Pitzhanger Manor was owned by Soane from 1800 to 1810 during which time he radically rebuilt it. He demolished most of the existing building except the two-storey south wing built in 1768 by George Dance.
Close
)
CLOSE