NOTES: Built in the 17th century, Kenwood House was remodelled by Robert Adam in the 1760s. The Great Room or library was created in 1767-1769. This photograph shows the painted panels by Antonio Zucchi enclosed in Adam's delicately decorated ceiling.
NOTES: Construction on this country residence of the Russian Imperial family began c.1780 and was completed c. 1825. Its design was typical of the country mansion of the period and was created by a succession of architects, painters and sculptors, notably Charles Cameron who designed the central Great Palace in 1782-1786.
NOTES: This Neoclassical mansion was built in 1816-1823 to serve as treasury of the newly created order of St Michael and St George and residence for the British Lord High Commissioner. The building became known as the Royal Palace when it was handed over to King George I of Greece on the departure of the British in 1864. It fell into disrepair after 1913. One wing now houses the Museum of Byzantine and East Asian Art.
NOTES: This drawing is believed to be by an unidentified 18th century Italian architect and was formerly attributed to Francesco Costa. The Pio-Clementino Museum occupies the Belvedere Pavilion, adapted as a museum by Michelangelo Simonetti in the 1770s.
NOTES: Pitzhanger Manor was owned by Soane from 1800 to 1810 during which time he radically rebuilt it. He demolished most of the existing building except the two-storey south wing built in 1768 by George Dance.
NOTES: The house dates originally from c. 1640, when it was begun and possibly designed by its owner Sir Thomas Chicheley. It subsequently underwent many alterations. From 1693-1710 a detached orangery to the rear and a service wing were added. From 1713 James Gibbs added wings and library to the north-west. In 1742-1745 the central block was reroofed and the elevations reconstructed by the architect Henry Flitcroft. Another wing was added on the garden side to balance the library. Between 1791-1806 the interiors were remodelled by John Soane. The last phase was the extension of the east and west wings by H. E. Kendall (senior) in 1842 (largely demolished in 1953). The house was bequeathed to the National Trust in 1976. The drawing room by Soane (c. 1792) was created out of a courtyard and stairwell from the 17th century house. See RIBA158763 for a colour version of this image.