NOTES: Lambeth Palace dates back to the 13th century and has been altered and added to over the centuries. During 1828-1834 it was rebuilt and restored by Edward Blore. During the Second World War, it suffered extensive bomb damage and was subsequently restored by Seely & Paget, including the 13th century chapel seen here, which was restored in 1955. The ceiling paintings seen here, were commissioned in 1988. They are by Leonard Rosoman and illustrate the history of Christianity in England. See RIBA157610 for a colour version of this image.
NOTES: Church of Norman origin, but largely rebuilt 1396-1418. The medieval tower collapsed in 1798 and was rebuilt in 1801 with old materials, but not to the original design. Above the chancel is an early 15th wall painting of the Doom.
NOTES: Church of Norman origin, but largely rebuilt 1396-1418. The medieval tower collapsed in 1798 and was rebuilt in 1801 with old materials, but not to the original design. The Doom painting seen here dates from the early 15th century.
NOTES: The church is a mixture of periods, 12th, 13th and 14th centuries. The interior is largely Norman with reused Roman columns in the nave. The nave was heightened in the 14th century. The chancel was rebuilt in 1882-1883. The church also has a distinctive lead broach spire. The wall paintings date from c. 1130-1150 and depict images from the Passion of Christ.
NOTES: Kenneth Bayes was a member of the Design Research Unit. His projects were very much influenced by the expressive and organic architectural language of the German architect Rudolf Steiner, the key protaganist of the Theosophical movement.