Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Murals

View as Grid List
Sort by

Wimpole Hall, Cambridgeshire: detail of painted urn in trompe l'oeil in the chapel

RIBA158772
Flitcroft, Henry (1697-1769)
NOTES: The house dates originally from c. 1640, when it was begun and possibly designed by its owner Sir Thomas Chicheley. It subsequently underwent many alterations. From 1693-1710 a detached orangery to the rear and a service wing were added. From 1713 James Gibbs added wings and library to the north-west. In 1742-1745 the central block was reroofed and the elevations reconstructed by the architect Henry Flitcroft. Another wing was added on the garden side to balance the library. Between 1791-1806 the interiors were remodelled by John Soane. The last phase was the extension of the east and west wings by H. E. Kendall (senior) in 1842 (largely demolished in 1953). The house was bequeathed to the National Trust in 1976. See RIBA130707 for a black and white version of this image.

Bolsover Castle, Bolsover, Derbyshire: detail of ceiling in the Heaven Closet showing the ascension of Christ into heaven

RIBA158815
Smythson, Huntingdon (d. 1648)
NOTES: Bolsover Castle was built on the foundations of a medieval keep by Charles Cavendish, son of Bess of Hardwick. In 1612 he began building, employing John Smythson, son of Robert Smythson, who designed the Little Castle (completed in 1617), the centrepiece of the castle complex. Charles died in 1617 and the work was continued by his son William from 1620, who built the Terrace Range between 1627-1634. The castle was damaged during the civil war and afterwards the the Riding House range was constructed (1660-1670) and the Terrace Range repaired and remodelled. In subsequent centuries the castle fell into disrepair and was partially dismantled. It came into public ownership in 1946 and the buildings repaired. The most complete survival though, is the Little Castle with its series of grand, 17th century domestic interiors. See RIBA148040 for a black and white version of this image.

Bolsover Castle, Bolsover, Derbyshire: detail of ceiling painting depicting the company of Olympus in the Elysium Closet

RIBA158817
Smythson, Huntingdon (d. 1648)
NOTES: Bolsover Castle was built on the foundations of a medieval keep by Charles Cavendish, son of Bess of Hardwick. In 1612 he began building, employing John Smythson, son of Robert Smythson, who designed the Little Castle (completed in 1617), the centrepiece of the castle complex. Charles died in 1617 and the work was continued by his son William from 1620, who built the Terrace Range between 1627-1634. The castle was damaged during the civil war and afterwards the the Riding House range was constructed (1660-1670) and the Terrace Range repaired and remodelled. In subsequent centuries the castle fell into disrepair and was partially dismantled. It came into public ownership in 1946 and the buildings repaired. The most complete survival though, is the Little Castle with its series of grand, 17th century domestic interiors. See RIBA148042 for a black and white version of this image.

Bundestag (New Parliament), Bonn: the restaurant with murals by Nicola de Maria

RIBA158949
Behnisch, Gunter (1922-2010)
NOTES: The new parliamentary building at Bonn has been designed as a series of glazed pavilions dispersed on sloping terraces stepping down to the Rhine. The complex also incorporates some older structures; a 1930s building by Witte and a 1960s office tower by Egon Eiermann. See RIBA148092 for a black and white version of this image.

Bundestag (New Parliament), Bonn: the restaurant with murals by Nicola de Maria

RIBA158950
Behnisch, Gunter (1922-2010)
NOTES: The new parliamentary building at Bonn has been designed as a series of glazed pavilions dispersed on sloping terraces stepping down to the Rhine. The complex also incorporates some older structures; a 1930s building by Witte and a 1960s office tower by Egon Eiermann. See RIBA148093 for a black and white version of this image.

Mural, Klokkestobergadens Vandgyde, Aalborg, entitled: 'The Church Bell Factor' by Phlegm

RIBA163037
NOTES: Created in 2017, the mural referenced a bell foundry that stood on the site.

Mural, quai Bois Construction, Brussels: entitlted 'The Swing' by Bozko

RIBA163039
NOTES: The mural was painted by Bulgarian artist Bozko who was invited to the Quais quarter, on the occasion of the 2018 Balkan Trafik Festival, in collaboration with the City of Brussels. It was later removed.
Categories
Close
)
CLOSE