Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Murals

View as Grid List
Sort by

Wimpole Hall, Cambridgeshire: the chapel looking east from the family pew

RIBA130699
Gibbs, James (1682-1754)
NOTES: The house dates originally from c. 1640, when it was begun and possibly designed by its owner Sir Thomas Chicheley. It subsequently underwent many alterations. From 1693-1710 a detached orangery to the rear and a service wing were added. From 1713 James Gibbs added wings and library to the north-west. In 1742-1745 the central block was reroofed and the elevations reconstructed by the architect Henry Flitcroft. Another wing was added on the garden side to balance the library. Betwen 1791-1806 the interiors were remodelled by John Soane The last phase was the extension of the east and west wings by H. E. Kendall (senior) in 1842 (largely demolished in 1953). The house was bequeathed to the National Trust in 1976. The chapel is by James Gibbs (1713) and the painted murals by James Thornhill (c. 1721). See RIBA130687 for a black and white version of this image.

Wimpole Hall, Cambridgeshire: the chapel looking west from the altar

RIBA130704
Gibbs, James (1682-1754)
NOTES: The house dates originally from c. 1640, when it was begun and possibly designed by its owner Sir Thomas Chicheley. It subsequently underwent many alterations. From 1693-1710 a detached orangery to the rear and a service wing were added. From 1713 James Gibbs added wings and library to the north-west. In 1742-1745 the central block was reroofed and the elevations reconstructed by the architect Henry Flitcroft. Another wing was added on the garden side to balance the library. From 1791-1806 the interiors were remodelled by John Soane The last phase was the extension of the east and west wings by H. E. Kendall (senior) in 1842 (largely demolished in 1953). The house was bequeathed to the National Trust in 1976. The chapel is by James Gibbs (1713) and the painted murals by James Thornhill (c. 1721). See RIBA158771 for a colour version of this image.

Wimpole Hall, Cambridgeshire: detail of chapel mural by James Thornhill depicting the 'Doctors of the Church' in trompe l'oeil

RIBA130705
Gibbs, James (1682-1754)
NOTES: The house dates originally from c. 1640, when it was begun and possibly designed by its owner Sir Thomas Chicheley. It subsequently underwent many alterations. From 1693-1710 a detached orangery to the rear and a service wing were added. From 1713 James Gibbs added wings and library to the north-west. In 1742-1745 the central block was reroofed and the elevations reconstructed by the architect Henry Flitcroft. Another wing was added on the garden side to balance the library. From 1791-1806 the interiors were remodelled by John Soane The last phase was the extension of the east and west wings by H. E. Kendall (senior) in 1842 (largely demolished in 1953). The house was bequeathed to the National Trust in 1976. The chapel is by James Gibbs (1713) and the painted murals by James Thornhill (c. 1721).

Wimpole Hall, Cambridgeshire: detail of painted urn in trompe l'oeil in the chapel

RIBA130707
Gibbs, James (1682-1754)
NOTES: The house dates originally from c. 1640, when it was begun and possibly designed by its owner Sir Thomas Chicheley. It subsequently underwent many alterations. From 1693-1710 a detached orangery to the rear and a service wing were added. From 1713 James Gibbs added wings and library to the north-west. In 1742-1745 the central block was reroofed and the elevations reconstructed by the architect Henry Flitcroft. Another wing was added on the garden side to balance the library. Between 1791-1806 the interiors were remodelled by John Soane The last phase was the extension of the east and west wings by H. E. Kendall (senior) in 1842 (largely demolished in 1953). The house was bequeathed to the National Trust in 1976. The chapel is by James Gibbs (1713) and the painted murals by James Thornhill (c. 1721). See RIBA158772 for a colour version of this image.

Alhambra Theatre, Bradford: the restored auditorium looking towards the stage

RIBA130805
Chadwick & Watson
NOTES: The original theatre was designed by Chadwick & Watson in 1914. In 1986 it was extensively refurbished by Renton Howard Wood Levin Partnership, including the restoration of the auditorium. See RIBA130786 for a black and white version of this image.

Farnborough College of Technology, Farnborough, Hampshire: the library desks with murals behind

RIBA130934
Hampshire County Council. County Architects Department

Farnborough College of Technology, Farnborough, Hampshire: the library

RIBA130935
Hampshire County Council. County Architects Department

Farnborough College of Technology, Farnborough, Hampshire: the library

RIBA130959
Hampshire County Council. County Architects Department
NOTES: See RIBA155891 for a colour version of this image.

Wang, Brentford, London: detail of mural in the main office

RIBA131192
DEGW
NOTES: See RIBA131209 for a colour version of this image.

Wang, Brentford, London: detail of mural in the staff canteen

RIBA131193
DEGW
NOTES: See RIBA131210 for a colour version of this image.

Wang, Brentford, London: detail of mural in the main office

RIBA131209
DEGW
NOTES: See RIBA131192 for a black and white version of this image.

Wang, Brentford, London: detail of mural in the staff canteen

RIBA131210
DEGW
NOTES: See RIBA131193 for a black and white version of this image.
Categories
Close
)
CLOSE