NOTES: The office block was part of a complex of industrial buildings, one was for the administration of the steelworks and the other to do the same for the tubeworks. The mural shown here was formed out of a Roman mosaic, dated 350 AD, which was found nearby during quarrying operations.
NOTES: This is a redesign of the original 1958 interior, which was also by the Design Research Unit. The two ceramic murals are: on the left, one depicting a peacock by the Indian artist R. V. Savant, and on the right, one by Primula Pandit made in India and erected under her supervision.
NOTES: In 1962 a new conference hall, designed by the architect Hulme Chadwick, was built over the central lightwell of Hamilton House, a building of 1914, from basement to first-floor level. The new hall included an entrance foyer, small gallery and projection room. The interior seen here was decorated with brilliantly coloured abstract murals by Keith Godwin, which run the full length of the aisle walls on both sides.