NOTES: The church was originally known as Santa Maria in Capitolo because of its location at the summit of the Campidoglio. It was renamed Santa Maria in Aracoeli in the 14th century. The foundation of the church was laid in 574 but it received its Romanesque aspect under the Franciscans after 1250. The mosaic decoration was executed by Lorenzo Cosmati in the 13th century.
NOTES: The Papal basilica of St Paul outside the Walls, is one of four churches considered to be the great ancient basilicas of Rome. The cloister of the monastery was built between 1208 and 1241 by Pietro Vassalletto and was decorated by Giovanni Cosmati, the youngest of the Cosmati.