NOTES: The Cosmati were a Roman family which included seven generations of architects, sculptors and workers in mosaic. Cosmatesque mosaic technique involved the elaborate inlaying of small triangles and rectangles of colored stones and glass mosaics into stone matrices or surfaces.
NOTES: An inscription on this print (which was taken from a painting) reads 'To Professor Lethaby with Arthur E. Henderson's compliments and thanks'. Henderson won the Owen Jones studentship in 1897 and went to Constantinople, where he remained until 1904. Presumably this painting dates from that period.
NOTES: The church in its present form was built between 1018 and 1063 over an existing 4th century chapel and next to a small cemetery. The basilica has three naves: the lateral naves were completed by 1070 while the central nave was completed in 1207.