NOTES: Installed in 1907, this ceiling was designed by J. A. Holzer who was the chief mosaicist of the glass and decorating company, Tiffany Studios.It is reputed to be the largest Tiffany dome in existence.
NOTES; Originally a Catholic chapel belonging to the Portuguese Embassy in nearby Golden Square, this church was taken over by the Bavarian Embassy in 1747 when the Portuguese Embassy moved and has since been more commonly known as the Bavarian Chapel. The present chapel opened in 1790 and it became the parish church of Our Lady of the Assumption in 1854. The sanctuary was reconstructed to designs by John Francis Bentley and completed in 1880. The mosaic in the semi-dome of the apse represents the Coronation of the Virgin and was executed by George Bridge in 1910.
NOTES: The house was built for the American artist Ethel Sands in 1914. The mosaic decoration in the hall was Boris Anrep's first major commission (1917). Sands commissioned her friend Walter Sickert to decorate her dining room but this commission was never fulfilled and eventually Vanessa Bell and Duncan Grant decorated the room.