Welcome to RIBApix!
You have no items in your basket.
Close
Filters
Search

Monuments

View as Grid List
Sort by

St Mary, Swinbrook, Oxfordshire: the Sir Edmund Fettiplace monument framed by fluted Corinthian columns bearing a segmental pediment

RIBA6734
NOTES: This monument, one of a series dedicated to the Fettiplaces in the church, was erected by Sir Edmund (d.1613) and includes reclining effigies of himself on the top tier, and his father and grandfather below.

St Mary, Warwick: the Beauchamp Chapel

RIBA6744
NOTES: The Beauchamp Chapel was begun in 1443, completed in 1464 and consecrated in 1475.

St Mary Magdalene, Croome d'Abitot, Worcestershire: the wooden Gothick pulpit with fine tracery bearers supporting the tester and the tomb of Thomas, 1st Lord Coventry, lord keeper (d.1639)

RIBA6753
Adam, Robert (1728-1792)
NOTES: This Gothick style church was built in 1763 for the 6th Earl of Coventry who filled it with a collection of family monuments. The design of the exterior is attributed to Lancelot 'Capability' Brown and the interior to Robert Adam. The church, now redundant, forms part of the Croome Park National Trust Estate.

St Mary the Virgin, Stansted Mountfitchet, Essex: detail of the coloured recumbent effigy of Hester Salusbury (d.1614) in hunting clothes in the north aisle

RIBA6781
NOTES: Hester Salusbury was reputedly killed by a stag while hunting in Stansted Park in 1614 and this memorial to her was commissioned by her father, Thomas Middleton of Stansted Hall (d.1631).

Temple Church, The Temple, City of London: effigies of the Knights Templar on the floor of the Round

RIBA6861
NOTES: The church was founded by the Knights Templar in the reign of Henry II upon the model of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem. The Transitional style church was consecrated in 1185 by Heraclius, Patriarch of Jerusalem. The church and most of the Temple enclave was severely damaged by incendiary bombs during the Blitz of 1941. However, the walls were left intact and enough fragments remained for the church to be restored in complete Early Gothic style after World War II. The nave and choir was rededicated in 1954, and the Round, the original nave, in 1958.

Temple Church, The Temple, City of London: two of the effigies in Purbeck marble of the Knights Templar dressed to ride into battle on the floor of the Round

RIBA6862
NOTES: The church was founded by the Knights Templar in the reign of Henry II upon the model of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem. The Transitional style church was consecrated in 1185 by Heraclius, Patriarch of Jerusalem. The church and most of the Temple enclave was severely damaged by incendiary bombs during the Blitz of 1941. However, the walls were left intact and enough fragments remained for the church to be restored in complete Early Gothic style after World War II. The nave and choir was rededicated in 1954, and the Round, the original nave, in 1958.

Chapel Royal of St Peter- ad -Vincula, Tower Green, Tower of London: memorial tomb to Sir John Holland, Duke of Exeter, and a Constable of the Tower (d. 1447)

RIBA6864
NOTES: This chapel has been the parish church of the Tower of London since 1520 and is a Royal Peculiar. It is probably best known as the burial place of some of the most famous prisoners executed on Tower Green.

St Andrew, Bere Ferrers, Devon: monument to Sir William Ferrers and his wife, Isolda, on the north side of the chancel

RIBA6875
NOTES: Sir William Ferrer was the founder of the church which was built in 1246. The church was rebuilt c.1300-1305.

St Cyriac, Lacock, Wiltshire: monument to Sir William Sharrington (d.1553)

RIBA6935
NOTES: This cruciform church is mainly 14th and 15th century. The tomb of Sir William Sharrington, who was the proprietor of Lacock Abbey after its dissolution in 1539, is one of the finest English examples of early-Renaissance work.

St Andrew, Langar, Nottinghamshire: monument ot Thomas, Lord Scrope (d.1609) and his wife, Philadelphia

RIBA6974
NOTES: This large 13th century cruciform church was heavily restored in the 1860s by Thomas Butler. The many medieval and Renaissance monuments were retained.
Close
)
CLOSE