NOTES: Cleopatra's Needle was erected on the Embankment in 1878, however the bronze mountings and sphinxes were not in place until 1881. The sphinxes were enlarged copies of the sphinx at Alnwick Castle dating from the time of Thuthmose III.
NOTES: Clandon Park was rebuilt in Palladian style for 2nd Lord Onslow by the Venetian-born architect, Giacomo Leoni, c.1730-1733. Work on the interiors continued into the 1740s. The grounds were landscaped by Lancelot 'Capability' Brown in the 1770s.
Burlington, Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of (1694-1753)
NOTES: Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington and 4th Earl of Cork, refronted the existing Chiswick House and designed and built the adjoining villa to display his art collection and entertain friends in 1727-1729. He was inspired on his grand tour by Palladio's Villa Capra 'La Rotonda' near Vicenza.