NOTES: Cleopatra's Needle was erected on the Embankment in 1878, however the bronze mountings and sphinxes were not in place until 1881. The sphinxes were enlarged copies of the sphinx at Alnwick Castle dating from the time of Thuthmose III.
NOTES: Clandon Park was rebuilt in Palladian style for 2nd Lord Onslow by the Venetian-born architect, Giacomo Leoni, c.1730-1733. Work on the interiors continued into the 1740s. The grounds were landscaped by Lancelot 'Capability' Brown in the 1770s.