NOTES: This Benedictine monastery, originally founded by St Aidan in 635, was built on the monks' return to Lindisfarne in c, 1150. Monastic accommodation was added in the 13th century. The monastery was dissolved in 1537 and the buildings fell into ruin.
NOTES: The design and supervision of the construction of the Romanesque lower basilica, built between 1228 and 1230, is attributed to Frate Elia Bombardone. Construction of the upper basilica began in 1239 and was completed in 1253. The Gothic style lateral chapels were added towards the end of the 13th century.