NOTES: The monastery originally formed part of the royal apartments in the palace in Mandalay but after King Mindon died in the building his successor, King Thibaw. in 1880 had the building dismantled and moved to its present site to serve as a monastery.
NOTES: The design and supervision of the construction of the Romanesque lower basilica, built between 1228 and 1230, is attributed to Frate Elia Bombardone. Construction of the upper basilica began in 1239 and was completed in 1253. The lateral chapels were added towards the end of the 13th century.