NOTES: Construction on the cathedral began in 1096 in the Romanesque style, and the body of the church was completed by c. 1145. But later additions were in the Gothic style. The nave and chancel with its ribbed stone vault was added from c. 1472-1499 under Bishop Goldwell (replacing an original timber roof). The clerestory was added at the same time and the spire was completed in 1485. The top three stained glass windows (1958) are by Keith New, originally made for St Stephen's Walbrook, London. They feature the Conversion of St Paul and the Passion. The bottom three stained glass windows are by John Hayward made for the Millennium. The subject is the Mystery of the Incarnation.