NOTES: Construction on the original cathedral, a masterpiece of Early English style, began in 1180 and was largely completed by the time of its dedication in 1239. The west front was completed in 1209-1250, the chapter house in 1306 and the Lady Chapel in 1326. William Wynford was appointed master mason in 1365 when he built the south-west tower of the west front. He also designed the north-west tower which was added in the 1400s. The moat dates from 1341.
NOTES: William Burn carried out extensive alterations and additions to the 14th century castle for the 2nd Duke of Cleveland in 1843-1847. The castle's interiors and exteriors were also remodelled in the 18th century by James Paine and John Carr of York.