NOTES: This drawing (numbered Plate ) is one of a series of topographical thesis studies made by Cowlishaw between 1928 and 1930 while he was a member of the Imperial War Graves Commission. The series was entitled 'French Civic Architecture 1500-1802. A study of some of the notable buildings in Northern France erected during the early part of the 16th century to the beginning of the 19th century.'
NOTES: This castle was rebuilt in stone in 1280, replacing an earlier wooden castle burned to the ground after a siege in 1260. It was repeatedly enlarged during the 14th and 15th centuries, reaching its largest form around 1560. It was restored and modernized by Baron Jacob Adriaen van Brakel, the owner from 1837-1844, but quickly fell into disrepair after his death. It was severely damaged during World War II and underwent a lengthy restoration directly after the war which was completed in 1983.