NOTES: The most important of the four buildings in the grounds of Nymphenburg, this hunting lodge was designed by Francois de Cuvillies and built in 1734-1739 for Maria Amalie, wife of Elector Karl Albrecht. The sculptors Johann Baptist Zimmermann and Johann Joachim Dietrich were responsible for the interior design of the pavilion.
NOTES: Sanssouci was the summer palace of Frederick the Great, King of Prussia. Built above a terraced vineyard in 1745-1747, it is essentially a single-storey villa, containing ten principal rooms. Much of the interior decoration of the music room was by the sculptor and decorator Johann Michael Hoppenhaupt (the elder).