NOTES: Former hunting lodge enlarged to private house. Built circa 1550 for Sir Nicholas Poyntz of Iron Acton, reputedly with stone from the destroyed Kingswood Abbey. It was enlarged in the early 17th-century into an H-plan. Formed into a square and remodelled by James Wyatt in Gothick style probably in 1790s for the Reverend Lewis Clutterbuck, a service wing was added in 1897. The house was bequeathed to the National Trust in 1949 and restored from 1970-1984.