NOTES: Originally designed by the German architect and engineer Rudolphe Cabanel the theatre opened as the Royal Coburg in 1819. In 1833 it was renamed the Royal Victoria Hall in honour of the young Princess Victoria. Since then it has undergone many alterations internally and externally, including a new auditorium in 1871 by Jethro Thomas Robinson. In 1941 it was severely damaged by bombing and was restored by Douglas Rowntree and Pierre Sonrel, reopening in 1950. In 1982 the architects Renton Howard Wood Levin were appointed to carry out a major refurbishment and restoration. This resulted in the exterior being reconstructed (apart from the entrance canopy) to match the 1819 original, while the auditorium was refurbished to Robinson's 1871 scheme. The Looking Glass Curtain was a drop curtain made of a series of glass panels introduced into the theatre in 1820 and later dismantled in 1824.
NOTES: Former hunting lodge enlarged to private house. Built circa 1550 for Sir Nicholas Poyntz of Iron Acton, reputedly with stone from the destroyed Kingswood Abbey. It was enlarged in the early 17th-century into an H-plan. Formed into a square and remodelled by James Wyatt in Gothick style probably in 1790s for the Reverend Lewis Clutterbuck, a service wing was added in 1897. The house was bequeathed to the National Trust in 1949 and restored from 1970-1984.