NOTES: Castel Sant'Angelo was originally constructed as a mausoleum for the Emperor Hadrian in 135-139 AD. The bridge, built at the same time to connect the mausoleum to the Campus Martius, was named Ponte Elio (Pons Aelius). When the mausoleum became a castle in 401 AD, it was renamed Castel Sant'Angelo and the bridge took the same name.
SOURCE: Robert William Billings. The Baronial and ecclesiastical antiquities of Scotland (Edinburgh, 1845-1852), vol. 1, plate section 24 (Burgie Castle), original drawing tipped into RIBA's special author's copy. NOTES: This large-scale Z-plan fortified house was built for Robert Dunbar in c.1602. The majority of the castle, apart from the tower and fragment of the main block, was demolished in 1802 and its building materials re-used elsewhere.